Aberdeen Beef Pie
Set in the middle of the table, this hearty beef pie will be the center of attention. With chunks of tender beef and tasty vegetables under a flaky pastry crust, this is pure comfort food to welcome your family home for the holidays. —Peggy Goodrich, Enid, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1/4 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups halved fresh baby carrots
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Brown the beef in drippings in batches; drain and set beef aside. Add onion to the pan; saute until crisp-tender. Add carrots, bacon and beef.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the flour, broth and Worcestershire sauce until smooth; add to beef mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat is tender, 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Stir in peas, salt and pepper. Transfer to an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out crust into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Cut slits in crust. Place over filling; trim and seal edges. If desired, brush with beaten egg. Bake at 375° until crust is golden and filling is bubbly, 35-40 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.