Aberdeen Beef Pie
Set in the middle of the table, this hearty beef pie will be the center of attention. With chunks of tender beef and tasty vegetables under a flaky pastry crust, this is pure comfort food to welcome your family home for the holidays. —Peggy Goodrich, Enid, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1/4 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups halved fresh baby carrots
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Brown the beef in drippings in batches; drain and set beef aside. Add onion to the pan; saute until crisp-tender. Add carrots, bacon and beef.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the flour, broth and Worcestershire sauce until smooth; add to beef mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat is tender, 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Stir in peas, salt and pepper. Transfer to an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out crust into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Cut slits in crust. Place over filling; trim and seal edges. If desired, brush with beaten egg. Bake at 375° until crust is golden and filling is bubbly, 35-40 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 308 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 389mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Aberdeen Beef Pie in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2019