Bohemian Beef Dinner
One of my favorite things to do when I was growing up was to help my mother in the kitchen while she prepared traditional Czech dishes like this. It's a savory stick-to-your-ribs meal with beef and sauerkraut covered in a creamy sauce. —Carl & Isobel Wanasek, Rogers, Arkansas
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- Additional paprika
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef; dredge or shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown the beef in oil in batches; drain. Add the onions, garlic, dill, caraway, paprika and water.
- 2. Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Stir in sour cream; heat through but do not boil. Heat sauerkraut; drain and spoon onto a serving platter. Top with the beef mixture. Sprinkle with paprika.
1 each: 442 calories, 22g fat (9g saturated fat), 121mg cholesterol, 1321mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 34g protein.
Apr 6, 2010
Something different to put over sauerkraut.
Apr 4, 2010
This is tasty. Just takes a bit of time on the stove top!
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC