Bavarian Strawberry Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + chilling
- 2-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a small bowl, combine coconut and butter. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 300° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned (cover edges loosely with foil to prevent overbrowning if necessary). Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries and sugar; let stand for 15 minutes. In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Cook and stir over medium heat until gelatin is dissolved; stir in lemon juice. Stir into strawberry mixture. Cool to room temperature. Fold in whipped cream. Pour into crust. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before slicing.
Jun 8, 2014
Are you using sweetened flaked coconut?
Jun 6, 2013
I make this recipe every year after we go strawberry picking. My husband is a huge coconut fan, so it is definitely one of his favorites!
Aug 27, 2010
I made this last night, just as the recipe called, and it was lip smackin' delicious. Vey easy to make.
Apr 13, 2010
Loved it! I let the strawberries sit to long in the sugar, so it made to much juice. Not a problem. Filled a Tupperware container w/ the leftovers & it was delicious.
Apr 25, 2008
I didn't have enough coconut to make the whle crust out of it, so I just used a regular pie crust recipe and substituted coconut for 1/3 of the flour... it was great!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.