Golden Harvest Apple Pie
You'll think Grandma was baking in the kitchen when you taste your first bite of this old-fashioned pie. The golden, tender crust holds a yummy apple filling with a hint of orange.—Drew Menne, Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 5 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other. Roll out larger portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge.
- Sprinkle flour over the pastry. Combine the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; layer into pastry alternately with apples. Dot with marmalade and butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Brush with milk.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°; bake 40-50 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 413 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 320mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Golden Harvest Apple Pie in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.