Apple Walnut Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 5 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 6 medium)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional milk, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the walnuts, brown sugar, egg, milk, 1 tablespoon butter, vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Spread nut mixture over crust.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with remaining lemon juice. Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; toss with apples. Spoon over the nut mixture; dot with remaining butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Brush top with a additional milk if desired. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 468 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 325mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 2, 2018
Made this for dessert tonight and have to say I'm not a fan. We didn't care for the walnut taste, maybe pecans would be better for us and I didn't think the 3/4 c of sugar was enough, maybe another 1/4 or even half would have made it better, and that's from someone who doesn't care for over the top amounts sugar in pies. It could have been the Granny Smith apples, they're pretty tart, next time I'll try a Macintosh or something a little sweeter.
Oct 12, 2012
This was delicious! I'm an inexperienced cook, so of course I undercooked it and it was runny and pretty crunchy, and I failed at making my own crust, BUT, the flavors that came out of it were so wonderful, I loved the walnut. I'll definitely make this again. Or attempt to ;)
Jun 29, 2009
does anyone have a recipe for an awesome red velvet cake?
Jun 24, 2009
Hello there! I tried your recipe a few days ago (Monday, 6/22/09) & I am in love with it. It is the best! The only 3 changes I made are: I used vanilla soy milk instead bcause I had no milk at home and I used chopped walnuts for added crunchiness instead of ground walnuts, & I used 1/4 cup of raisins to replace the other 1/4 cup of white sugar. This deliciously wonderful recipe will be added to my "favorite apple pie" recipe collection! It's definitely now one of my fav desserts; there is a surprise in every bite. Highly recommended! Thank you for sharing your recipe with us!!
Dec 19, 2007
This is the BEST apple pie recipe ever!! I don't even like apple pie, but had apples that I had to use. I went online and pulled out this recipe. It is now one of my favorite desserts. Highly recommended!!