Caramel Apple Walnut Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Arrange apples in crust; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the corn syrup, sugar, butter, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Pour over apples.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges; cut slits in top.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the topping ingredients. Cook and stir over low heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.
- Place pie on a baking sheet. Pour topping over top crust. Bake for 3-4 minutes or until bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 462 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 337mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 20, 2016
I made this for Thanksgiving last year along with Pumpkin, that everyone wanted. Well, once they tasted this, they all wanted a slice and are asking for it again this year. Truly a spectacular pie!
Dec 22, 2013
I just made this pie for the third time and it was as outstanding as the first. The filling jelled nicely, holding the fruit together for a beautiful clean slice. The caramelized walnut topping makes it a winner!
Nov 14, 2011
My husband gave it a big thumbs up.He said it definitely was a keeper.He is my best critic.I give it 5 stars
Nov 11, 2011
Absolutely Excellant! This is a must have for the recipe box! Its something that reminds me of my grandmother. An old fashioned tasting delicious apple pie. Perfect comfort food!
Mar 18, 2011
I have made this recipe NUMEROUS times and everyone still begs for it =)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.