Blackberry-Topped Sponge Cakes
The recipe for my blackberry cakes is easy to play with. You can replace the sponge cake with angel food, pound cake or ladyfingers. And any fruit that has liquor with the same flavor can be used. —Karen Robinson, Woodbury, Connecticut
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 6 individual round sponge cakes
- 4 cups fresh blackberries
- 1/4 cup blackberry brandy
- 1-1/4 teaspoons sugar
- Whipped cream, optional
- Place sponge cakes on serving plates. Top each with three blackberries. Place remaining blackberries in a food processor; process until pureed. Strain and discard seeds and pulp.
- Transfer puree to a small saucepan. Stir in brandy and sugar. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, stirring occasionally. Pour over berries. If desired, top with whipped cream.