Blackberry Fruit Muffins
Take advantage of delicious summer blackberries by adding them to these muffins. They are very easy to prepare and disappear as soon as they are served.—Candy Woelk, Lexington, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- Honey, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and mix well. Beat in milk and vanilla until almost smooth, about 1 minute. Combine 1-3/4 cups flour, baking powder and salt; stir into creamed mixture just until combined (batter will be thick). Toss blackberries with the remaining flour until coated; fold into batter. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until muffins are golden and test done. Serve warm with honey if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 156 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 184mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Blackberry Muffins in Country Woman July/August 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.