Traditional Sponge Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup chocolate ice cream topping
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift flour and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Blend in water and vanilla. Add dry ingredients to yolk mixture; mix well.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold a fourth of egg whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325° for 55-60 minutes or cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert the pan; cool completely.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Slice; drizzle with ice cream topping.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 229 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Sep 22, 2019
I don’t get this recipe. I made this cake and words have meaning; I don’t call an apple and orange. This recipe is for an oranges colored angel food cake., THIS IS NOT SPONGE CAKE! This recipe is not for a traditional sponge cake or any other sponge cake. If you want sponge cake, don’t use this recipe.
May 29, 2018
Great cake! Takes a little more effort to make than other cakes because of having to take care with the egg whites and the sifting and everything but it is so WORTH IT. And not hard to make at all if you use a stand mixer. Comes out super light with a nice light sweet flavor. I paired mine with fresh whipped cream and berries and it was heavenly. I used a 9 by 13 rectangular baking dish and it took around 30 minutes to bake so make sure you watch your cake. Would definitely recommend!
Jan 21, 2015
Haven't tried yet..but looks delicious...No butter margarine or oil needed for this?
Jan 20, 2014
Best sponge cake I ever made. I did a recipe and a half for a birthday cake and filled it with two layers of pastry cream. One layer vanilla and one layer chocolate. It was a hit!
Jun 23, 2013
This is the third time I made this cake. It has turned out great each time - light and spongy. I even reduced the sugar amount to 1/2 cup and still found it sweet enough. My family loves it and asks for more. This recipe definitely a keeper.
Jun 20, 2011
This cake was wonderful! I needed a light cake to go with strawberry shortcake and this hit the mark. It was so light and fluffy with the perfect sweetness. I even made it in a bundt pan because I was lacking the traditional tube pan and it turned out wonderfully. I will DEFINITELY be making this again!
Jan 23, 2009
I had a neighbor, back in the 50's, and she made this without separating the eggs & it came out nice and thick and yellow. Would I have to change any ingredients to do that.Sharon