Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1-1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 9-in. springform pan.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and orange zest. In another bowl, whisk 1-1/2 cups flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Transfer to prepared pan.
- In a bowl, toss blackberries with remaining flour; arrange over batter. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake portion comes out clean.
- Loosen sides from pan with a knife; remove rim from pan. Cool on a wire rack; serve warm or at room temperature. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 274 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 177mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 8, 2018
I made this delicious cake a couple of times for my secretary's July birthday. Pretty easy to make. It was moist and just the right sweetness. One time I made it with other berries like blueberries and strawberries with equal success.
Jun 10, 2017
Yum! Yum! Made as written - delish! Also made with fresh strawberries, also great. Thanks for sharing such a cherished family recipe!
Aug 4, 2016
We really enjoyed this! Sweet but not too sweet I served this with fat free cool whip and it was the perfect end to our dinner! I will be making again!
Jul 5, 2016
@step210, there is a huge difference between black raspberries, and blackberries. Black berries are bigger, and their seeds are larger and harder to chew on (and they are bad about getting stuck in your teeth!)Black raspberries are smaller, softer, and have a divine deep flavor. A black raspberry has a deeper and an amazing flavor compared to blackberries...even compared to red raspberries, black raspberries have more flavor... and to my opinion, they make the best pie and jam!Blackberries do not have that deep flavor, but they are more tart. Don't get me wrong, blacberries are good, too. But I much prefer a black raspberry over a blackberry. But thats my own opinion.I live in Northwest Missouri, where black raspberries and black berries grow wild here, and everywhere. So, if you're like me, and live in berry-land, you would learn fast to know the difference between berries with similar names.So, if you don't have blackberries on hand, but have black raspberries, I bet it'd make a good substitute!
Jun 27, 2015
This is so good. Will definitely make again
Jun 22, 2015
I made this cake for treats at Sunday School and everyone loved it! I will certainly make it again! Sending the recipe to many friends.
Jun 18, 2015
The NA Raspberry & Blackberry Association has never seen our black raspberries - they aren't smaller or bigger. The weather dictates the size in our berries here in MI - they are huge, both black and BR this year. Also, this cake is Delicious! I didn't change a thing nor would I since it's perfect! We have 110 acres and many of those have berries so I am lucky there - I can them so I can make this all year. Perfect combination of fruits - thanks for sharing this recipe!
Jun 18, 2015
For step210 - according to The North American Raspberry & Blackberry Association; The most obvious difference is that a black raspberry is hollow -- the core of the fruit stays on the plant when it is picked, while the core stays in a blackberry. Black raspberry fruit are also smaller, less shiny, and have a bluish waxy coating between the sections of the berry. Hope this helps. :)
Jun 16, 2015
This sounds yummy but have not tried it yet. I am writing to ask a question. Please forgive me for going ahead and rating. Are blackberries the same as black raspberries??