Picnic Berry Shortcakes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 individual round sponge cakes
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Whipped topping, optional
- In a small saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water. Add 1 cup strawberries; mash mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lime zest. Transfer to a small bowl; refrigerate, covered, until chilled.
- Cut sponge cakes crosswise in half; trim each to fit in bottoms of 4 wide-mouth half-pint canning jars. In a small bowl, mix blueberries and remaining strawberries; spoon over cakes. Top with sauce. If desired, serve with whipped topping.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 124 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 67mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit.
Jul 28, 2018
Cute presentation and delicious dessert! I was afraid to assemble ahead of time for fear the angel food cake would be too soggy. My guests were impressed with this dessert.
Jul 4, 2016
The Sauce is very good. I used on vanilla ice cream with sliced strawberries. Everyone enjoyed it.
Jun 15, 2014
Had company over for grilling with a picnic theme. I made this with a combo of strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. I did use my own shortcake recipe. They looked so cute in the jars. Will definitely be making this again.
May 23, 2013
I made the sauce its very simple and tastes good. I used the recipe with mangos & strawberries & black berries.. I think its versatile and we can use any type of fruit we want. I also made my own sponge cake. I think it looks so cute in the picture using jelly jars and I can't wait to try serving them on the 4th of July like this. Thank you.
Apr 28, 2013
Amazing, super good for picnics. Didn't follow the recipe exactly; made my own sponge cakes, and added raspberries to the sauce. Didn't put them in jars, but found another way. I'll definitely make this again.
Jul 3, 2012
Excellent sauce. I made my own shortcake recipe. Didn't put in jars. This is a keeper.
Jun 23, 2012
I only used 1 cup blueberries and used 1 sponge cake per person. Added fat free cool whip. Came out to 188 calories. My family loved it!
Jun 23, 2012
I doubled the recipe and used angel food cake instead of short cakes. The strawberry mash sauce is DELICIOUS!
Jun 22, 2012
Strawberry sauce never thickened even tho I followed the directions exactly!