- 1-3/4 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 55 wafers)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
- LEMON CURD:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- Lemon zest strips, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Wrap securely around pan.
- In a small bowl, mix crushed wafers and melted butter. Press onto the bottom and 3/4 in. up sides of prepared pan. Bake 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sour cream and sugar until smooth. Beat in lemon zest and juice. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until blended. Pour into crust. Place springform pan in a larger baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan.
- Bake until center is just set and top appears dull, 1 to 1-1/4 hours. Remove springform pan from water bath. Cool cheesecake on a wire rack 10 minutes. Loosen sides from pan with a knife; remove foil. Cool 1 hour longer.
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, whisk together first 5 curd ingredients. Add butter; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 170°. Do not allow to boil. Remove immediately to a small bowl; cool completely.
- Gently spread curd over cheesecake. Refrigerate overnight, covering when completely cooled. Remove rim from pan. If desired, top with fresh lemon zest strips.
1 slice: 563 calories, 35g fat (19g saturated fat), 157mg cholesterol, 321mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.