Strawberry Shortcake Cups
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whipped cream
- Mash or slice the strawberries; place in a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and set aside. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, beat egg and milk; stir into flour mixture just until moistened.
- Fill eight greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until golden. Remove from the pan to cool on a wire rack.
- Just before serving, split shortcakes in half horizontally. Spoon berries and whipped cream between layers and over tops of shortcakes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 200 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 372mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 24, 2016
This was wonderful! Very light and fluffy. It reminds me of the strawberry shortcake they my grandma made me. I will definitely make this again!
May 2, 2016
I always like to try new recipes.I haven't ever had a shortcake like this.I did add a little extra sugar to the batter.It was an ok recipe but I will probably go back to my pound cake or angel food cake. I probably won't make this again.
Feb 27, 2016
Wow.... Easy and deliciously light....used coconut sugar on both strawberries and in cake. strawberry season is here and I have a favorite dessert. Thanks Taste of Home.
Jun 21, 2015
I wouldn't call this a shortcake. It was more like a biscuit. Not what I want with my strawberries.
May 10, 2015
This is wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing this. It will save time and money. AND satisfy my family, 3 with 1 recipe.
Jul 8, 2013
This is awesome! I just substituted the whipped cream with ice cream to suit my taste better. Otherwise followed the recipe exactly.
Jun 28, 2013
Strawberry shortcake is a favorite summer time dessert. I loved the idea of baking the shortcakes in a muffin pan. I added 2 more tbsp. of sugar to my shortcakes because I like them a little bit sweeter. Overall a great dessert and very easy to make.
Jun 25, 2013
I've used this recipe for years, my mom's. It's a winner and always pleases family and friends.
Jun 24, 2013
I would add fresh blueberries or some other fruit.I like to make my muffins from a mix so would use a blueberry muffin mix then follow the instructions to the end.
Jun 24, 2013
Definitely five stars. I'm making it for our family 4th of July celebration. It's nostalgic and delicious.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.