Favorite Fresh Raspberry Pie
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 5 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the egg, water and vinegar; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Divide dough in half so that one ball is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Meanwhile, in another large bowl, combine the sugar, tapioca, cornstarch and raspberries; let stand for 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger ball of dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer dough to pie plate; trim even with edge. Add raspberry filling; dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining dough to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Brush with milk; sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 498 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 168mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein.
Aug 7, 2017
This is a great pie recipe! I wasn't sure I would like the raspberries - thought it would be like eating jam - but it was sweet and juicy and so delicious ! I also really liked the pastry recipe it was easy to work with and I didn't chill it at all. Plus it tasted really good. It is going to be my new go to for when I need a quick pastry for my favorite pies. Definitely will be making this again. I liked it better served chilled.
Jul 23, 2017
Fabulous pie. I made it with fresh raspberries. Followed exact recipe and even the crust was great. Definately keeping this recipe.
Jun 30, 2017
It looked like a beautiful pie, mine turned out perfect and tasted wonderful, BUT it was runny, and I had to turn the oven higher and for an additional half hour, don't save it the next day for it will be rotten tasting, I had to throw it out, must have been the tapioca that rotted, it needed 2 table spoon of flour to thicken it, I should have tried a smaller pie first now I have no more berries, looks like next year maybe.
May 31, 2017
wow..wonderrful recipe!! used my own raspberries from my garden, that I froze last year..came out PERFECT!! Lots of compliments!! I did use my own tried and true crust recipe...I own a bakery and am very careful with my recipes...this goes in bakery recipe box!!!
Jul 8, 2016
Used my own crust and added a tsp cinnamon and a tsp vanilla. Delicious pie. Question : is the nutrition data for 6 pieces or 8 pieces?
Jul 4, 2016
Absolutely wonderful recipe. I tripled the crust and doubled the filling and made it into a cobbler. The whole family loved it!!
Dec 18, 2015
I made this pie over the summer for my family. They loved it, so all the other fruit pies I've made since then have used this recipe.About the crust: sometimes I brushed it with milk and put sugar on and sometimes I didn't. Either way is good.One piece of advice: Let the pie cool. If you let it cool completely (2 hours or so) the filling sets really nicely and then it's a breeze to cut. However, this is hard to accomplish at my house.
Oct 5, 2015
I am quite surprised by the number of five-star reviews here. After picking two pints of fresh raspberries I was so excited to make this pie. The filling turned out great, but the crust was a mess. It was the worst crust I have EVER tasted. Raspberry pie is my favorite thing in the world, and I ended up eating one piece and throwing the rest away. It was mealy, soft, and tasted like shortening only. This was not user error, either. Do not recommend this crust!
Jul 21, 2015
Very good. I didn't let it cool long enough so at first it was a little runny and it could have used more sugar for my taste but both of those are on me. The recipe itself is great just the way it is.
Jun 29, 2015
Loved this berry pie! We all enjoyed it! Great crust!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.