Favorite Fresh Raspberry Pie
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 5 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the egg, water and vinegar; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Divide dough in half so that one ball is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Meanwhile, in another large bowl, combine the sugar, tapioca, cornstarch and raspberries; let stand for 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger ball of dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer dough to pie plate; trim even with edge. Add raspberry filling; dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining dough to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Brush with milk; sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 498 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 168mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein.
Jul 9, 2019
I have a question. Can you make this pie up then freeze and bake it later? Yhsnks
May 29, 2019
absolutely fantastic!! perfect as written!
Apr 15, 2019
I don't know what I did wrong. I hate runny berry pies, so I put in an extra tablespoon of tapioca, AND cornstarch. The pie never set, and I literally had to dish it up with a large spoon. The flavor was nice, but it certainly wasn't something that I'd be proud of to serve.
Aug 7, 2017
This is a great pie recipe! I wasn't sure I would like the raspberries - thought it would be like eating jam - but it was sweet and juicy and so delicious ! I also really liked the pastry recipe it was easy to work with and I didn't chill it at all. Plus it tasted really good. It is going to be my new go to for when I need a quick pastry for my favorite pies. Definitely will be making this again. I liked it better served chilled.
Jul 23, 2017
Fabulous pie. I made it with fresh raspberries. Followed exact recipe and even the crust was great. Definately keeping this recipe.
Jun 30, 2017
It looked like a beautiful pie, mine turned out perfect and tasted wonderful, BUT it was runny, and I had to turn the oven higher and for an additional half hour, don't save it the next day for it will be rotten tasting, I had to throw it out, must have been the tapioca that rotted, it needed 2 table spoon of flour to thicken it, I should have tried a smaller pie first now I have no more berries, looks like next year maybe.
Jul 8, 2016
Used my own crust and added a tsp cinnamon and a tsp vanilla. Delicious pie. Question : is the nutrition data for 6 pieces or 8 pieces?
Jul 4, 2016
Absolutely wonderful recipe. I tripled the crust and doubled the filling and made it into a cobbler. The whole family loved it!!
Dec 18, 2015
I made this pie over the summer for my family. They loved it, so all the other fruit pies I've made since then have used this recipe.About the crust: sometimes I brushed it with milk and put sugar on and sometimes I didn't. Either way is good.One piece of advice: Let the pie cool. If you let it cool completely (2 hours or so) the filling sets really nicely and then it's a breeze to cut. However, this is hard to accomplish at my house.
Oct 5, 2015
I am quite surprised by the number of five-star reviews here. After picking two pints of fresh raspberries I was so excited to make this pie. The filling turned out great, but the crust was a mess. It was the worst crust I have EVER tasted. Raspberry pie is my favorite thing in the world, and I ended up eating one piece and throwing the rest away. It was mealy, soft, and tasted like shortening only. This was not user error, either. Do not recommend this crust!