Favorite Banana Cream Pie
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large firm bananas
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°. Line crust with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack until edges are golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake until bottom is golden brown, 3-6 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat. Gently stir in butter and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard; refrigerate, covered, 30 minutes.
- Spread half of the custard into crust. Slice bananas; arrange over filling. Pour remaining custard over bananas. Spread with whipped cream. Refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 521 calories, 30g fat (18g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 406mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Feb 12, 2020
While I have not made this pie yet I look forward to doing so. Just a couple of comments though. Yes it does say to use a 9 inch pie crust and as far as leaving out several steps, as long as it gets the job done and it tastes great who cares . I'm sure you are one of those people who use those 7 words I hate the most. "That's the way we've always done it". Guess we should still be cooking over an open fire. What have you got to lose by trying it. Looks great to me. Let you know.
Aug 31, 2019
I have made banana cream pies and deep dish banana cream pies and they both depend on the amount of time after adding all the in ingredients to make the pastry filling. I cook it until it is very thick and you do have to wait and be patient with the process. It will burn on the bottom if you up the stove temperature. It must be done slowly. I use pillsbury pie crust. Make sure the bottom is cooked otherwise it will be uncooked. I do add a layer of bananas first, then half the pastry cream then another layer of banana and then the last of the pastry cream. It has to cool in the refrigerator for at least 6-8 hours. Put a little lemon juice, just a little, to sprinkle over the bananas to keep from during brown. It’s not a recipe for people in a hurry. That goes for all cream pies.
Aug 28, 2019
I usually use a graham cracker crust and pudding to make my banana cream pie and wanted to try one from scratch. This was easy and absolutely delicious. The pie was a hit. The custard was so delicious I was eating it out of the pan. My son liked it so much he asked if he could have some for breakfast because it had bananas in it. I let him this one time. I will make this again and again.
Jul 4, 2019
A delicious cream pie for sure, but too sweet for me. I'm adjusting my notes to use 1/2 cup sugar.
Jun 16, 2019
It states to use a 9" pie plate, so that's the size of crust. Although a pie dough crust is shown, I have not seen this pie on a buffet in anything other than a graham cracker crust. My step-grandmother loved using a coconut crust for hers.
Jun 16, 2019
My husband LOVES this pie rates it a ten. Said it was the best he has ever eaten.
Jun 14, 2019
You took a recipie with several important steps and tried to break it down into few steps. This has been the most ridiculous waste of time I have found on internet recipes ! You would be doing a good job if you were thorough. I’ll stay away from this website for a while.
Apr 28, 2019
The recipe doesn't say what kind or size of crust to use.
Apr 23, 2019
I've never made a banana cream pie and this one was delish! Some of the comments were leading me to believe It may be out of my league, but it was so simple. I doubled the recipe for my deep dish pie plate, used premade pie crust (cheetah), cut the sugar in half, used nonfat milk and loaded that baby with lots of bananas. Thickened up that heavy cream with a bit of powdered sugar and YUM! Use a quality pot to cook your filling, have patience when stirring to thicken and you will rock it out of the park.
Mar 24, 2019
The Best pie, banana cream pie EVER!!! So good I made it twice within 3 day and had to share with friends and family. LOVE Is in the custard. Yum is in the pie!