Creamy Chocolate-Banana Pie
You can make almost any dessert more awesome with chocolate. In this cream pie, fresh banana and chocolate make a truly irresistible combo. —Diane Nemitz, Ludington, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2/3 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 4 medium bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Shaved unsweetened chocolate, optional
- On a floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°.
- Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack until edges are golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake until bottom is golden brown, about 4 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in the top of a double boiler or a metal bowl over simmering water, mix 2/3 cup sugar, flour and gelatin. Whisk in half-and-half and egg yolks; cook, whisking constantly, until temperature reaches 160° and mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon. Remove from heat; whisk in sour cream and extracts. Transfer 3/4 cup mixture to a small bowl; stir in melted chocolate until blended. Refrigerate vanilla and chocolate mixtures until set but not firm, about 30 minutes.
- Spread chocolate mixture evenly over crust. Fold bananas into vanilla mixture; spread over chocolate layer. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
- Beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over top; if desired, sprinkle with shaved chocolate.
Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches): Combine 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 tsp. salt; cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 3-5 Tbsp. ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour. Editor's Note: Let pie weights cool before storing. Beans and rice may be reused for pie weights, but not for cooking.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 562 calories, 30g fat (19g saturated fat), 159mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as CARIBBEAN BANANA CREAM PIE in Taste of Home June/July 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.