Best Rhubarb Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 to 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and toss lightly with a fork until the dough forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of pie plate; flute edges. Spoon rhubarb into pie shell.
- In a small bowl, beat the sugar, eggs, cornstarch and nutmeg. Pour over rhubarb. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 377 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 92mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 15, 2019
Where does the sour cream come in. Sure not in the recipe
Jun 5, 2016
This was horrible. I wish I would have read the reviews before making this pie. The pie was nothing but a puddle of liquid. I even baked it an extra 10 minutes, but it still was pile of soup. Do Not Make this - a total waste of precious rhubarb and your evening's dessert needs to be thrown out. O stars, but it wasn't offered.
Jun 12, 2015
This was the easiest recipe ever. I used my food processor for the crust so quick and easy cleanup. It came out sweet tart and creamy. Will make this again.
Sep 12, 2014
I love the recipe!!! I've made about 10 of these pies for my family and friends love it! Oh and to the ones that say the pie is runny after you take it out of the oven...it needs at least a 1/2 hour to set and get thick!! Once its thick...don't blink because it'll be gone before you know it!! Hahaha!
Jun 16, 2014
I agree with the rater below. I have made this recipe twice following it EXACTLY and I threw the runny, gloppy mess OUT BOTH TIMES!!
Jul 29, 2013
I made this today and it took almost 90 minutes to make and it was still yokey in the middle...Very bad recipes. Oh... and I had used the last of my rhubarb on this.....
Jun 6, 2013
The crust was great but the filling was full of water or juice from the rhubarb. I cooked it for 45 minutes and the crust was done. Is there a part of this recipe that is missing? Help!!!!
Sep 15, 2012
This was EXCELLENT. I added a crust on top though.
Sep 9, 2012
Wow, this was so good! So easy to make and tasted amazing. It is definately something i'll make again!
Jun 14, 2011
I'm not sure what went wrong but I followed the directions precisely. The filling was runny & the top was crusty like a meringue. I was so disappointed as this is the first year I was able to use my own rhubarb crop and the rhubarb itself was great.