Orange Rhubarb Pie
This is one of my favorite ways to use our rhubarb crop. The combination of rhubarb and orange gives this pie a nice flavor.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2-1/2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb (cut into 1-2-inch pieces)
- 1 unbaked pie shell (9 inches)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, flour and salt. Stir in orange juice and butter. In a small bowl, lightly beat egg yolks; stir into the orange juice mixture until blended. Add rhubarb.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks begin to form; gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Fold into rhubarb mixture.
- Pour into pie shell. top with nuts. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°; bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 383 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 257mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Orange Rhubarb Pie in Country June/July 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.