Frosted Orange Pie
I discovered the recipe for this distinctive pie in a very old church cookbook. With its fresh-tasting filling and fluffy frosting, it's truly an elegant final course. I'm happy to make it all year-round. -Delores Edgecomb, Atlanta, New York
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar flour and salt. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in the juices and orange and lemon zest. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- Pour into pastry shell. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Chill at least 3 hours.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, egg whites, water, cream of tartar and salt over low heat. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 8-10 minutes. Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer. Beat on high until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes.
- Spread over chilled pie. Just before serving, sprinkle with coconut. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteA stand mixer is recommended for beating the frosting after it reaches 160°.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 298 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Frosted Orange Pie in Taste of Home June/July 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.