Dutch Rhubarb Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, raspberries, sugar, flour, vanilla and egg. Pour into crust; sprinkle with nutmeg. In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until filling is set and crust is golden brown (if needed, cover edges loosely with foil during the last 10 minutes to prevent overbrowning). Cool on a wire rack.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 321 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Aug 18, 2014
The only two things that I grew this year were my already established raspberries and rhubarb, so I was really excited to try this recipe. I like that it didn't take a lot of sugar and I didn't think it was overwhelmingly tart. My filling was runny, but my pies never turn out picture perfect (filling wise), so I'm pretty sure it was my doing and not the recipe. This one is going in my permanent recipe file.
Apr 25, 2014
I was disappointed with this recipe. The flavor of the raspberries were overwhelming. I couldn't taste the rhubarb at all even though I had increased the amount of rhubarb. If I had been making raspberry pie it would have been passable. I had just made rhubarb muffins and the taste of the rhubarb from my plant had been excellent. However, I was happy that with the relatively small amount of sugar it was still sweet enough. I went with a two crust pie in order to cut down on the over all amount of sugar.
Jun 30, 2012
I like this recipe but I prefer to use all rhubarb instead of adding raspberries. I love the crumb topping. I make a whole wheat flour crust to make it more healthy.
Apr 27, 2011
This is a very nice pie, using the brown sugar gives it the best taste ever. Do not use white sugar gives a different taste.