Orange Rhubarb Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (6 slices each)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fresh rhubarb
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, orange zest and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Fold in rhubarb and walnuts.
- Transfer to two 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 128 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Jun 15, 2015
Delicious recipe! I doubled it and made in two regular size bread pans. Next time I will x4 so my loaves are higher. It is so good! I may have a whole loaf eaten before my husband gets home from work! I sprinkled the top with sugar before baking. Next time I will sprinkle a bit more sugar and also add more orange zest.
Apr 20, 2015
Dilli: Why would you try to rate something you haven't actually tried? That's cheating!
Apr 16, 2015
Only 3/4 cup flour? Is this correct. I could only give it 3 stars because I don't know if the recipe is correct.
Jan 25, 2015
good but not sure I would make again.
Jul 22, 2014
This is a great way to use up so much rhubarb. Everyone that has tried this bread really loves it. I cut extra rhubarb up and freeze in 1 1/2 cup bags to make this in the winter months. I also tripled the recipe to make two full large loaves. Need to adjust cooking and cooling times however.
May 2, 2013
Have made this over and over1 It is yummy and my 3 little nephews love it! I have made this as mini loafs and many times as muffins, sprinkling sugar over the top before baking. And always use the all the zest of one orange. Try it!
May 26, 2012
Excellent. As someone suggested, I increased the orange peel. Am also making double batches now because it's so good.
May 20, 2012
This recipe is absolutely delicious. Next time I make it I am going to double or triple the recipe because I have only a bread loaf size pan. I increased the grated orange to one teaspoon. Best when eaten fresh. Didn't like it after one week as it lost flavor.
May 17, 2012
This has a great taste. However I do not like the flat apprearance of the loaf. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get a better rounded top to the loaf.I made it as one slightly larger loaf instead of the two tiny ones.
May 4, 2012
Awesome bread...I love it. My husband is always dieting so I substituted orange fat-free yogurt for the butter and it turned out great!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.