Streusel Rhubarb Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh or sliced frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and oil. Beat in egg. Beat in buttermilk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into brown sugar mixture just until combined. Fold in rhubarb and nuts. Pour into two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon and butter until crumbly; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Cut with a serrated knife.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 138 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 131mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Aug 25, 2014
Nice combo of sweet and sour. 45 minutes is plenty
Aug 20, 2014
Idk..... I didn't think it was fabulous. Rated it about a C/C+ at best. Didn't have much of a rhubarb flavor. I think it needs more rhubarb .. prob 3 cups.?.?=
May 24, 2014
I picked some rhubarb this morning and had buttermilk so looked and found this recipe. I made muffins as there are only 2 of us. I baked for for 45 min in 350* oven. (all ovens are different and 40 minutes may be fine.) I forgot to make the topping as I was doing other things and also did not add the nuts because I do not care or them in my cakes, etc.Great recipe and I will make again.Thanks so much.LeonaI made again and baked the muffins for 40 minutes. This time I remember the topping.
May 20, 2013
Very Yummy! I cut it and put butter on the slice! OhhhhhhhhhhSOOOOOOOgood! :)
Apr 26, 2012
This bread is delicious! Wonderful texture- moist but light. I added 1 tsp. cinnamon to the batter and increased the cinnamon to 1/2 tsp. in the topping.Instead of using 2 loaf pans I divided the batter into 5 mini loaf pans. That way you get topping with every bite. :) They are pretty enough to give as gifts.
Aug 2, 2011
A little crumbly while still warm, absolutely scrumptous the next day!!!
May 31, 2011
One of the best breads I have ever made!~ Theresa
Dec 23, 2010
this bread is delish.... i make it without the topping- i put a little cinnamon in the batter. my husband doesn't like rhubarb but LOVES this bread. also- i make the whole recipe in a bundt pan.
Jul 12, 2010
Made this today and took into the office - it was enjoyed by all. Nice, quick recipe to whip up in the morning.