Streusel Rhubarb Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh or sliced frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and oil. Beat in egg. Beat in buttermilk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into brown sugar mixture just until combined. Fold in rhubarb and nuts. Pour into two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon and butter until crumbly; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Cut with a serrated knife.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 138 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 131mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 25, 2014
Nice combo of sweet and sour. 45 minutes is plenty
Aug 20, 2014
Idk..... I didn't think it was fabulous. Rated it about a C/C+ at best. Didn't have much of a rhubarb flavor. I think it needs more rhubarb .. prob 3 cups.?.?=
May 24, 2014
I picked some rhubarb this morning and had buttermilk so looked and found this recipe. I made muffins as there are only 2 of us. I baked for for 45 min in 350* oven. (all ovens are different and 40 minutes may be fine.) I forgot to make the topping as I was doing other things and also did not add the nuts because I do not care or them in my cakes, etc.Great recipe and I will make again.Thanks so much.LeonaI made again and baked the muffins for 40 minutes. This time I remember the topping.
May 20, 2013
Very Yummy! I cut it and put butter on the slice! OhhhhhhhhhhSOOOOOOOgood! :)
Apr 26, 2012
This bread is delicious! Wonderful texture- moist but light. I added 1 tsp. cinnamon to the batter and increased the cinnamon to 1/2 tsp. in the topping.Instead of using 2 loaf pans I divided the batter into 5 mini loaf pans. That way you get topping with every bite. :) They are pretty enough to give as gifts.
Aug 2, 2011
A little crumbly while still warm, absolutely scrumptous the next day!!!
May 31, 2011
One of the best breads I have ever made!~ Theresa
Dec 23, 2010
this bread is delish.... i make it without the topping- i put a little cinnamon in the batter. my husband doesn't like rhubarb but LOVES this bread. also- i make the whole recipe in a bundt pan.
Jul 12, 2010
Made this today and took into the office - it was enjoyed by all. Nice, quick recipe to whip up in the morning.