Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed (3-4 stalks)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk the first six ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add rhubarb; toss to coat.
- In another bowl, whisk cream, milk and vanilla; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 4-5 times. Divide dough in half; pat into two 6-in. circles. Cut each into eight wedges. Place wedges on parchment paper-lined baking sheets; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 scone (calculated without coarse sugar): 166 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 23, 2014
These are awesome, and the perfect size -- not too big. The cardamom and rhubarb play so well together. Was worried I wouldn't be able to find whole wheat pastry flour, but there it was in the baking aisle. It even comes in small bags, so you don't have to buy a ton for one recipe. Next time, I'm increasing the rhubarb to two cups, but will probably add a little more sugar, too.
May 18, 2014
Nice and tender with a slight cardamom flavor. I took these to a church potluck and people were tricked into eating and enjoying them thinking they contained strawberries! They were surprised to learn the truth! This was a good way to use up my extra rhubarb. Actually I increased the amount of rhubarb and it was still good.
May 3, 2014
Great recipe! Love the tart little bites of rhubarb.
Mar 25, 2014
This recipe is a keeper, thank you for sharing. :)