Cranberry Orange Scones
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 10 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- GLAZE (optional):
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- ORANGE BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 7 teaspoons sugar, orange zest, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the cranberries, orange juice, cream and egg. Add to flour mixture and stir until a soft dough forms.
- On a floured surface, gently knead 6-8 times. Pat dough into an 8-in. circle. Cut into 10 wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Brush with milk; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack.
- Combine glaze ingredients if desired; drizzle over scones. Combine orange butter ingredients; serve with warm scones.
Nutrition Facts1 scone: 331 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 396mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 8, 2018
Absolutely delicious, also added a few frozen thawed cranberries ??
Jan 27, 2018
I made these for guests. They were so well received I am glad I had the recipe handy. The combination of the cranberries and orange is always a favorite. I had a bit extra orange peel so used it in the glaze. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly and they were delicious. Served with the orange butter puts them over the top.
Jan 12, 2018
I have made these many times! I usually double the recipe because once I shared some , I have to continue! My favorite scone recipe by far.
Sep 23, 2017
Jun 23, 2017
Just made these and was so excited to try...I LOVE anything cranberry orange...these definitely missed the mark. :-/. Not enuf umph. I followed the recipe exactly. If I try again...will add more sugar and orange i suppose.
Aug 20, 2016
Just made these beauties and some Orange Curd. Man Oh Man Love it!
Jan 16, 2016
These scones are delicious! I cut the recipe in half since it's just the two of us, and we enjoyed them with a cup of tea for breakfast. I didn't have orange marmalade for the orange butter, so I made a cream cheese whip with orange juice and a bit of sugar, and it was perfect to smear inside hot scones. This will definitely go into my recipe box!
Jan 7, 2016
Just pulled these out of the oven and they are wonderful! I didn't have any half and half so I used evaporated mlk. Turned out fine. Wow! I will make these again.
Jul 5, 2015
Highly recommended, a crowd favorite!! The only change i made was the shape - 24 smaller diamond-shaped scones instead of the 10 wedges. I only glazed half the batch, knowing some people like a sweeter scone.
Jun 12, 2015
I LOVE scones, these?? Not so much. I just finished making them.............. They "need something" not much taste, bland. I will try them again with a little more sugar & more orange.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.