Orange Ginger Scones
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, ginger, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk sour cream and egg; add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in orange zest.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Divide dough in half. Pat each portion into a 7-in. circle; cut each into six wedges.
- Separate wedges and place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 196 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 282mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 11, 2015
Love to make scones! I serve them often for some of the catering events I do for women. The ginger and orange are such a bright taste in these scones. I like to make Devonshire cream to serve with the scones.
Nov 24, 2009
Even my granddaughter,who usually doesn't like scones, really enjoyed these.