Rhubarb Custard Bars
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + chilling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 5 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, combine sugar and flour in a bowl. Whisk in cream and eggs. Stir in the rhubarb. Pour over crust. Bake at 350° until custard is set, 40-45 minutes. Cool.
- For topping, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; fold in whipped cream. Spread over top. Cover and chill. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 198 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Jul 12, 2018
This deserves 10 stars!!!!
Jun 20, 2018
Decadent! Very rich but worth the calories.
Jun 8, 2018
When I read this recipe I read the tips at the end and said to myself "I have rosewater, I'm totally doing that" but then when I was creating the filling I forgot, so I added it to the topping. OMG! So good!! I had trouble getting it looking like pretty bars, maybe I need to make it again? I totally reccomend adding the rose water!
Jun 8, 2018
Very tasty but the crust was really rich. When I make it again, I would make it with a thinner crust base (1/2-2/3).
Jun 6, 2018
These bars are winners! I substituted Cool Whip for the whipping cream...still great!
Jun 6, 2018
Everyone loved this recipe. People raved about this even people that do not like rhubarb
Jun 4, 2018
Oh, so good
May 21, 2018
I would recommend this recipe as one of the best Rhubarb bars.
May 15, 2018
Easy to make! It was delicious!
Apr 26, 2018
This is definitely a 5-star dessert! It is similar to my mother-in-laws custard rhubarb pie, so maybe that's why we loved it so much.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.