Rhubarb Oat Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- In a large saucepan, combine the rhubarb, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 3 tablespoons water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.
- Combine the cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into rhubarb mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, coconut, salt and remaining brown sugar. Stir in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Press half of the oats mixture into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Spread with rhubarb mixture. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture and press down lightly.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 145 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 126mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 19, 2018
Made them as written. So delicious! Even better the next day!
Jul 29, 2015
These were a delicious way to use up the few stalks of rhubarb left after making a pie. I agree that the base and topping are crumbly, but it was more the top that was crumbly for me. I think the rhubarb filling bled into the base a bit and made it just right for me. However, next time I will add a bit more butter to the top to help it hold together a bit more. Tastes great!
May 13, 2014
Excellent. Used a couple of the suggestions below. After dividing the topping in half, added 1 more TBLS of butter for the bottom to help keep it together and added 1/2 cup of chopped pecans for the topping.
May 2, 2014
These bars are amazing. I took Danerlea's suggestion and used TOH Chocolate Caramel Bar crust for the top and bottom (I did not add coconut). Top with ice cream when they are warm and gooey fresh from the oven. Good the next day also (I refrigerated them). If you like this recipe you should try another great TOH recipe--Rhubarb Raspberry Slab Pie.
Jun 3, 2013
I made this twice already! I added 1/4 cup chopped pecans and it's the best crust/topping ever!,
Jun 2, 2013
I agree with the previous review- this recipe needs a little tweaking. The bars are delicious- but they are impossible to eat without a fork and plate. I think the next time I make them I'm going to double the filling and add coconut to the crust from TOH's Chocolate Caramel Bars.
Apr 25, 2013
This recipe needed a few tweaks to make it better. I have rhubarb in my garden- so I am always looking for new ways to use it.I made a double batch to bake in a 13 X 9 pan. The bar dough was really crumbly and I was concerned that it wouldn't hold together. I separated half of the bar dough and added 1 egg to the bottom dough, which I pressed in to the pan. Topped that with the rhubarb mixture and topped with the reserved crumbly dough. Baked for 30 min and thought it turned out great- bottom holds together well and top is nice and crumbly.
Jun 3, 2012
LOVED this recipe and thought it tasted similar to apple crisp. Very yummy!
May 2, 2012
With rhubarb in season I couldn't wait to try a new bar recipe. I actually doubled the recipe and used a 9x13" pan which worked out really well. I also added 3 tablespoons of cherry jello to the cooked rhubarb and I think it enhanced the flavor as well as giving them a more appealing color. You could also use strawberry jello. These were delicious. I took them along to work and they disappeared quite quickly. I will definitely make them again.
Jun 2, 2011
These were fabulous!!!