Rhubarb Oat Dessert
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/4 cups cold water, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- Ice cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, nuts, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press 3 cups into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- Soak rhubarb in 1 cup cold water for 3 minutes; drain. In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in remaining cold water until smooth. Add rhubarb, vanilla and food coloring if desired. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until thickened. Spoon over crust; sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 23-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with ice cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 440 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 239mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Jul 17, 2017
Very delicious and easy to make!
May 22, 2012
This is absolutely delicious! It is not super-complicated to make, and uses everyday ingredients (except the rhubarb, which you can buy frozen). The only negative is that it is pretty rich (it uses quite a bit of butter). Plus we have it with cream poured over it. We don't adjust the recipe at all, but make it just as it is (using butter).I made this once, and my husband liked it so much that he kept hinting around for me to make it again, and now he's helping me make it so he can have it again! We first tried it in early May. It's the middle of May now, and we've had it about 4 times already!It halves easily, keeps 3-4 days just fine, and re-heats well in the microwave.This is just a really fine recipe!
Mar 13, 2012
I love this recipe!! Every time I make it, people who don't even like rhubarb tell me how great this is. Love it.
Sep 23, 2010
This is a great find and so glad you shared it. It is easy to make and has great flavor! I have used this so many times since I found it and have had so many requests for copies. There is just one problem with it....it does not last long enough as it is devoured quickly! Thanks!
Apr 13, 2008
I love Taste of Home recipes ever since I came across your Complete Guide To Country Cooking at my local used book store. It was in wonderful condition, hardly used. Well, it is now well used and has been joined by others, as well as the magazine, I just have to tell you the recipe for Rhubarb Oat Dessert is to die for. I make it mostly from frozen rhubarb except in spring, but it turns out great either way.