Chocolate Oat Bars
These chocolate oat bars are one of my favorite go-to snacks. I love that I usually have all the items on hand and can whip them up quickly. —John Kleckner, Muscoda, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream 1 cup butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Combine the oats, flour, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan over low heat, combine the condensed milk, chips and remaining butter and salt. Cook and stir until smooth. Add the nuts and remaining vanilla. Press 4 cups oat mixture into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; spread with chocolate mixture. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars.