Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh rhubarb (about 12 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour two 8x4-in. loaf pans.
- Toss rhubarb with 2 tablespoons sugar; let stand while preparing batter.
- In a large bowl, beat oil, eggs, vanilla and remaining sugar until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and baking powder; gradually beat into oil mixture (batter will be thick). Stir in rhubarb mixture and, if desired, pecans.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 211 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Sep 18, 2019
A nice dessert-style bread. Pretty sweet. Bake time was 50 minutes for me. You can make it a more breakfast-style bread by using 2.5 cups flour and 1 cup dry instant oats. This recipe makes EITHER 2 loaves OR 1 loaf and a dozen muffins (easy breakfast on-the-go!).
Jul 20, 2019
I followed the recipe exactly and the bread is delicious.
Jun 22, 2019
My bread didn't quite rise like the loaf in the picture, but this is a delicious bread. Instead of 2 loaves, I made one regular loaf and three mini loaves. I'm excited to share!
Jul 1, 2018
Very tasty. It did take longer to bake in my oven than what was stated, but I just left it in longer and tested it for doneness w/ a toothpick. Will make again. I made no other alterations or substitutions.
Jul 6, 2016
My family loves this bread. It's very moist and delicious. Has anyone tried this recipe with frozen rhubarb? I have a lot of it growing in my backyard and would love to freeze it and make this bread during winter. It baked for me in 55 minutes.
May 27, 2016
This bread did not cook thoroughly in 60 minutes. Wooden picks came out clean but bread sank in the middle. Taste is very good but baking instructions need to be improved for testing for doneness.
Apr 17, 2016
Would frozen rhubarb work in this recipe?
Aug 27, 2015
I want to try this but what do I need to do to prepare in a bread maker?
Jul 26, 2015
This bread was very tasty, but it seemed a bit too oily for my taste. I will give it another chance with 1/2 applesauce, 1/2 oil.
Jul 22, 2015
This recipe is a staple in my house now!! Thank you!