Apple Red-Hot Slab Pie
The color alone from the Red Hot candies makes this slab pie an instant hit. It's my absolute favorite because it holds so many family memories for us.—Linda Morten, Somerville, Texas
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups cold butter, cubed
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups ice water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled Granny Smith apples (about 6 medium)
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled Gala or Jonathan apples (about 6 medium)
- 1 cup Red Hots candies
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in two portions so that one portion is slightly larger than the other. Shape each into a rectangle; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. For filling, in a large bowl, mix sugar, flour and salt. Add apples and Red Hots; toss to coat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough into an 18x13-in. rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of pan. Add filling; dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining dough; place over filling. Fold bottom pastry over edge of top pastry; seal and flute or press with a fork to seal. Prick top with a fork.
- Bake 50-55 minutes or until golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm. If desired, top with ice cream.