Old-Fashioned Raisin Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 large navel orange, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- In a food processor, combine the orange, raisins and pecans. Cover and process until mixture is finely chopped; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in orange mixture.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. flouted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over warm cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 324 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 307mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 1, 2010
This cake was excellent. It was moist and very tasty. I didn't have buttermilk on hand, so I substituted 1/3 cup non-fat yoghurt and 1/3 cup of orange juice and it came out beautifully. It cooked in 45 minutes.