Spiced Raisin Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 3-4 hours
Makes1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds, 24 slices)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water(70° to 80°)
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available.
- Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed).
Editor's NoteWe recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 78 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Jul 4, 2016
Excellent! I can't tell you how many loaves of this I've made over the years. It makes wonderful toast. It's also delicious as a peanut butter sandwich.
Apr 5, 2012
Excellent bread recipe.... Not too sweet, moist and delicious! I didn't have any cloves or orange peel but it tasted fine without. Also only did the dough cycle on the bread machine, shaped it into two smaller loaves, let rise 50 mins and baked for 30 mins. The smell while it was baking was incredible!
Jul 9, 2009
This recipe is indeed possible without a bread machine because I make it frequently. I use the dough hooks on my mixer and knead all the ingredients for 6 minutes at medium speed. You need a large spatula to get the flour worked into the dough. I also replace 1 cup bread flour with whole wheat flour to make it healthier. It makes wonderful french toast!
Nov 6, 2008
Is this recipe possible without a bread machine?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.