Spiced Raisin Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 3-4 hours
Makes1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds, 24 slices)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water(70° to 80°)
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available.
- Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed).
Editor's NoteWe recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 78 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Sep 16, 2019
I followed the ingredients and instructions to the letter and the result was a delicious loaf of bread. It was spiced nicely but not too much. I couldn't taste the orange peel although I did use the zest from an orange. I always use King Arthur flour (no I am not paid to say that; just my opinion) as it truly makes a difference in everything I bake. And this recipe was no exception. It has a nice crumb and hubby had to have a piece while it was still warm. Yum!
Nov 29, 2018
I’ve been using a bread machine for over 25 years, we have some regularly enjoyed recipes but I frequently try some thing new. This is an immediate favourite. Smells so good, beautiful rise, colour and texture. So good warm, slices great. Thank you for sharing.
Jul 4, 2016
Excellent! I can't tell you how many loaves of this I've made over the years. It makes wonderful toast. It's also delicious as a peanut butter sandwich.
Apr 5, 2012
Excellent bread recipe.... Not too sweet, moist and delicious! I didn't have any cloves or orange peel but it tasted fine without. Also only did the dough cycle on the bread machine, shaped it into two smaller loaves, let rise 50 mins and baked for 30 mins. The smell while it was baking was incredible!
Jul 9, 2009
This recipe is indeed possible without a bread machine because I make it frequently. I use the dough hooks on my mixer and knead all the ingredients for 6 minutes at medium speed. You need a large spatula to get the flour worked into the dough. I also replace 1 cup bread flour with whole wheat flour to make it healthier. It makes wonderful french toast!
Nov 6, 2008
Is this recipe possible without a bread machine?