Swirled Cinnamon Raisin Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 45 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup raisins
- Additional canola oil
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1/2 cup sugar, oil, salt, eggs and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place or until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Knead 1/2 cup raisins into each; roll each portion into a 15x9-in. rectangle. Brush with additional oil. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Tightly roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam to seal. Place, seam side down, in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Brush with oil. Bake 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 145 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 153mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Jan 7, 2020
I was excited to try this after reading the positive reviews. Like others, mine was done in less time than indicated in the recipe. I am giving it only one star because we found this bread to be heavy and the bread part itself was very tasteless. Not at all worth the time to make it.
Apr 12, 2019
The bread turned out perfect, I reduced baking to 30 minutes as noted in other reviews. Since my husband loves raisins I softened 1 cup in hot water, drained and added to mixture. I also sprinkled few more raisins on top on butter, cinnamon sugar before rolling. I used butter instead of oil in last step before rolling. Goind slice and make French Toast with it.
Oct 31, 2018
The only changes I made were to add the raisins to the dough all at once, instead of when dividing it, and instead of using oil when rolled out, I used a bit of butter, and again on the top. Mine was done baking in 30 minutes. It turned out perfect!
Dec 8, 2017
This is the most awesome cinnamon bread ever. I had to use melted butter instead of oil because I was out and it turned out more delicious if thats possible. My 8 year old granddaughter comes over every weekend and begs me to make it for her. Only thing is the bread is done in 30 minutes. If you leave it in for 45 minutes it will be either burned or very dry. Thanks for the recipe.
Mar 28, 2017
Makes THE best French toast!
Jan 14, 2016
Great recipe, don't bake it for the 45 minutes. The outer crust will be to hard, easy and delish ;)
Nov 4, 2015
Made this tonight, hubby made 1/2 without raisins and it turned out perfect, mine I added raisins but it ended up comically cavernous in the middle. (Says more about my baking skills than the recipe though!) Ours cooked in about 30 minutes; if I had let it go the full 45 that I had set the timer for, it would have burned. The nose knows!
Jul 20, 2015
Divine, easy recipe to make, final product is exactly what I was looking for.
Apr 26, 2015
yummy....so good. I replaced the raisins with chopped prunes because it was all I had. I may experiment with whole wheat and maybe ground flaxseed, but there is nothing wrong with the way it is now.
Mar 8, 2015
awesome bread,my children love it, I put chopped walnuts in with the cinnamon and sugar.