Swirled Cinnamon Raisin Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 45 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup raisins
- Additional canola oil
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1/2 cup sugar, oil, salt, eggs and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place or until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Knead 1/2 cup raisins into each; roll each portion into a 15x9-in. rectangle. Brush with additional oil. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Tightly roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam to seal. Place, seam side down, in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Brush with oil. Bake 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 145 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 153mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Dec 8, 2017
This is the most awesome cinnamon bread ever. I had to use melted butter instead of oil because I was out and it turned out more delicious if thats possible. My 8 year old granddaughter comes over every weekend and begs me to make it for her. Only thing is the bread is done in 30 minutes. If you leave it in for 45 minutes it will be either burned or very dry. Thanks for the recipe.
Mar 28, 2017
Makes THE best French toast!
Jan 14, 2016
Great recipe, don't bake it for the 45 minutes. The outer crust will be to hard, easy and delish ;)
Nov 4, 2015
Made this tonight, hubby made 1/2 without raisins and it turned out perfect, mine I added raisins but it ended up comically cavernous in the middle. (Says more about my baking skills than the recipe though!) Ours cooked in about 30 minutes; if I had let it go the full 45 that I had set the timer for, it would have burned. The nose knows!
Jul 20, 2015
Divine, easy recipe to make, final product is exactly what I was looking for.
Apr 26, 2015
yummy....so good. I replaced the raisins with chopped prunes because it was all I had. I may experiment with whole wheat and maybe ground flaxseed, but there is nothing wrong with the way it is now.
Mar 8, 2015
awesome bread,my children love it, I put chopped walnuts in with the cinnamon and sugar.
Nov 22, 2014
Hands down the best raisin bread recipe I've found. Has the perfect amount of raisins and cinnamon and makes a good amount of bread, at two loaves (I freeze one after baking it). I use butter to brush the tops of the bread rather than oil. I also only put 1 tsp of salt rather than 2, but that's just me. Also it never takes my oven the whole 45-50 minutes to cook the bread, more like 30-40 minutes, but it could just be my oven.
May 30, 2009
I made this bread this afternoon, it's AMAZING! Instead of brushing the dough with oil I used butter. Definitely will make again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.