Raisin Bread & Sausage Morning Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 loaf (1 pound) cinnamon-raisin bread, cubed
- 6 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, combine bread and sausage.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg until blended; pour over bread. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. In a small bowl, beat topping ingredients until blended. Drop by tablespoonfuls over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 425 calories, 25g fat (10g saturated fat), 141mg cholesterol, 324mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Nov 27, 2019
First time making before serving for party, it took over an hour to cook great taste. Wondering anyone try make it more savory than sweet? Will be in recipe box for future casseroles.
Aug 2, 2019
Great potluck recipe! A little sweet, a little salty and great for company! I think this would make a great Christmas morning dish! Also, the topping is wonderful, don't skip it!
Mar 1, 2018
Thank You from a Central California (the REAL California) Raisin Grower!
May 29, 2016
Would cut back on the brown sugar in the topping to Half cup a little too sweet ( unless you want sweeter) took it to a church brunch this am it was gone in no time , I did taste a spoonful . I changed the sausage to a full pound to have more meat . I got a lot of compliments on the dish . Will make again . Thanks TOH.