After opening our gifts on Christmas Eve as a child, we would make these cookies for Santa Claus to snack on with his glass of milk. These crisp spice cookies are delicious dipped in milk—or in coffee on Christmas morning. —Charli Fontana, Pella, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./ batch + cooling
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 2-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. In another bowl, whisk remaining ingredients; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough into quarters; shape each into a 12-in.-long roll. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap rolls and cut dough crosswise into 3/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until set, 10-12 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 160 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 91mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Sinterklaas Cookies in Ultimate Cookie Swap Bookazine 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.