Sugar Cream Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 450°. Roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer crust to pie plate. Trim crust to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Line unpricked crust with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice.
- Bake 8 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until light brown. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 375°.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Transfer to crust; sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack; refrigerate until chilled.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 418 calories, 24g fat (15g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Dec 29, 2019
A great sugar cream pie (I say as a born-and-bred Hoosier myself). Know that the filling will still be very jiggly when the time in the oven is done. I was worried it would never set. Letting it cool on the kitchen table, it was visibly more firm in 15-20 minutes. After several hours in the fridge, the filling was nice and firm -- a beautiful texture! Flavor is nice and vanilla-y but not overwhelmingly so.
Nov 29, 2019
This is the perfect recipe for sugar cream pie. My family who lives in Indiana loved it. it is good warmed or chilled. I did use nutmeg instead of cinnamon. Thanks for sharing recipe.
Nov 23, 2019
this is good pie nut I like to sprinkle nutmeg on the top instead for cinnamon
Apr 18, 2019
My family loved this pie. I was worried about it being too runny because it was very jiggly when I first took it out of the oven. After chilling for about 4 hours, the pie firmed up enough, and texture was perfectly creamy. The only thing I did different was added a little nutmeg with the cinammon.
Mar 31, 2019
It's not REAL INDIANA Sugar Cream Pie without a sprinkle of nutmeg with the cinnamon. That's essential.
Jan 29, 2019
This pie is excellent. We prefer it warmed, so I warm each slice in the microwave before serving. Makes for a great dessert when you are out of eggs!
Nov 25, 2018
I made this for Thanksgiving this year after hearing my significant other talk about it for the last few years.. I used a mixture of half and half and whole milk I stirred in a little nutmeg in the Custard while it cooked and sprinkled the cinnamon on before baking..set it out side for quicker cooling..it set and was chilled with in 4 hours.. it was pretty good and my honey says it. Taste how he remembered from so long ago
Nov 23, 2018
This recipe is almost exactly like my mother-in-laws who is from IN
Apr 11, 2018
i made this pie over the weekend and my family loved it! I used regular milk instead of the 2% and I used a graham cracker crust verses the pastry for single crust pie and it was awesome! I have no complaints and once it came out of the oven and cooled in the fridge it went until the next day and my family went crazy. I've never had nor heard of a Sugar Cream Pie before but this is our go to quick dessert in my house. Thanks!!!!!!
Feb 14, 2018
I love Sugar Cream Pie. Most Sugar Cream Pies have cream in them which is wonderful but is also high in calories. This version using 2% milk, is a very tasty lower calorie version. I will save this recipe for the future. The only thing I did was add another 1/2 recipe of the pudding so it would fill the pie shell.