Pumpkin Bread Pudding
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 4 cups cubed day-old whole wheat bread
- 1/2 cup chopped dates or raisins
- 1/3 cup plus 2-1/2 tablespoons chopped pecans, divided
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Half-and-half cream or whipped cream, optional
- Combine bread cubes, dates and 1/3 cup pecans; place in a greased 2-qt. shallow baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the milk, pumpkin, egg yolks, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and cloves. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; fold into pumpkin mixture. Pour over bread cubes and toss gently. Sprinkle with remaining nuts.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm or chilled with cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 261 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Dec 5, 2012
What a lovely alternative to the traditional pumpkin pie. I served it warm with whipped cream (ice cream would have been good too.) Leftovers were still good a day or two later without getting mushy.
Oct 28, 2011
My family loves this recipe. I used cinnamon raisin bread in place of wheat and baked it in individual ceramic pumpkins made by Temptations. It not only tasted great but looked cute and festive too.
Sep 14, 2011
What a yummy recipe! I substituted honey forth susGarWhat a yummy dessert! Easy to make-definite keeper! I substituted honey for the brown sugar and it came out perfect!
Oct 26, 2009
This is the best pumpkin bread pudding recipe I have ever tasted!!!! Very easy.