Applesauce Oat Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1-3/4 cups applesauce
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, bring the applesauce to a slow boil. Stir in oats; remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Add egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cloves; add to the creamed mixture alternately with applesauce mixture.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, combine the frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost cooled cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 435 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 315mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Dec 15, 2013
I did not make the frosting, but the cake was tasty!
Oct 5, 2013
I found this recipe in a news clipping from my Mom. It was published in the Petersburg, Va "The Progress-Index" in March of 1971 by Aileen Claire NEA food editor.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.