Lazy Daisy Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla until thick and pale yellow, about 4 minutes. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture and beat just until combined. In a saucepan, bring milk and butter to a boil, stirring constantly. Add to batter and beat until combined.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Combine frosting ingredients; spread over warm cake. Broil 4 in. from heat until lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 343 calories, 15g fat (10g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 11, 2018
Love the cake. The recipe dates at least back to 1944, published by the WI Dept. of Ag. as "Favorite Recipes from America's Dairyland", a book that was handed out by some state candidates seeking office.See original cook book here...http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm4/document.php? CISOROOT=/tp&CISOPTR=55141&CISOSHOW=55011and original recipe under Cakes, on page 41 on that link. Our family must have modified the frosting recipe by heating it up while the cake was baking.
Oct 30, 2015
The cake was more dense than I like but had a really good taste. Next time I make it, I'll broil the icing a little bit longer.
Feb 25, 2015
This is a great cake, simple to make and a great pot luck or picnic dessert. Have been making since the recipe was first printed in1995.
Nov 26, 2014
My mother use to make this. I also made it for years. I love the icing and couldn't remember how to make the icing. I didn't know if my mother made it up or if I would really find it. And I did. thank you
Feb 14, 2014
This cake is SOOOO yummy... very moist and the icing is delicious...
Sep 30, 2013
please remove rating - wrong recipe
Feb 5, 2012
This is one of my favorite cakes. I don't think I have ever come across anyone that didn't love it.
Jan 8, 2012
This yummy cake is a huge hit at my Church coffee hour. It has a very "old fashioned" taste to it, I think because of the hot milk. Do not be afraid to make this cake, it is super easy and the results are fool-proof, just don't over broil the topping.
Jul 11, 2011
Scrumptious!!! It's good with chopped pecans added to the topping as well. I use 1 cup coconut and 1 cup chopped pecans. Yummy!!
Apr 14, 2011
This cake is delicious- the topping is so Yummy! My sister and I often would swipe some of the topping to eat, leaving a bare cake beneath!