Moist Lazy Daisy Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla on high until thick and lemon-colored, about 4 minutes. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture. Beat on low just until combined. Heat milk and butter in a small saucepan until butter melts. Add to batter; beat thoroughly (the batter will be thin). Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool slightly. For frosting, blend all ingredients well; spread over warm cake. Broil about 4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 404 calories, 18g fat (12g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 296mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 10, 2018
This cake has been in my family for more years than I can remember. My grandmother and my mother used to make this all the time. Now I make it to enjoy all by myself. My kids don't like coconut, so that means all the more for me! Works great in an 8x8 dish. One of those feel-good comfort foods.
Jun 24, 2018
My cake came out very flat by putting it in a 9 " pan . I didn't think it had much flavor.
Jun 21, 2018
Oh my goodness! I have this exact recipe passed down from my mother some 40 yrs ago. It's very good without the topping and used for strawberry shortcake. Awesome!
Jun 20, 2018
awsome memories of this cake! Sooooo Good!
Jun 18, 2018
I also remember this cake when I was a little girl, 60 years ago. I remember the coconut toasted on top and under the broiler. Unfortunately, I was the one who kept stealing the icing off the top of the cake until there was just a little portion that was still iced. My mother never said a word and was back to baking something else the next day. i can still smell that cake and havent thought of it in years. Thank you for the memory. i definitely will make this.
Jun 10, 2018
Made this recipe, using 1/2 of the frosting ingredients as read in other reviews. Was disappointed as the cake was dry and nothing special.
May 14, 2018
Tried this cake and to my surprise it was pretty good. A little to dry for my taste but good nevertheless. Followed the recipe to the letter.
Apr 11, 2018
Moist LAZY Daisy Cake is Not in Easter Cakes !?
Apr 9, 2018
Have loved this cake since I was a girl. (I'm now 74) My Mother always frosted it with both coconut and pecans before broiling it..
Oct 21, 2017
Always a favorite. Very quick and easy, too.. I'll whip one up and bring it to work. as it is frequently requested.