Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 3 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 2 large)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 pound candied red cherries, halved
- 1/2 pound candied green cherries, halved
- 1/2 pound diced candied pineapple
- Line three 8x4-in. loaf pans with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. In a large bowl, combine apples, sugar and apple juice; let stand for 15 minutes. In a bowl, combine the eggs, oil and vanilla. Add to apple mixture; mix well. Combine the flour, apple pie spice, baking soda and salt; add to apple mixture and mix well. Fold in pecans, cherries and pineapple. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Remove waxed paper. Cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 174 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Apr 5, 2017
This is the best fruit cake recipe that I have found in years! I made fruit cakes for a friend of mine and he said this was the best fruitcake he has ever tasted! I will use this recipe for my fruitcakes from now on!
Dec 15, 2013
I've been making this since it first appeared in the magazine. My fruitcake-loving friends look forward to it every year and so do I! It's absolutely delicious!!
Oct 17, 2011
All my family & friends love this cake. I've made it since in came out in the magazine. We like it so much, I make it all year round.
Dec 20, 2008
Very good, different !!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.