Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1-1/2 pound ripe fresh peaches or nectarines, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Combine the first five ingredients in a bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk, stirring only until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Pat evenly into a greased 8-in. round baking pan. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack.
- Just before serving, combine peaches, 4 tablespoons brown sugar and ginger. Whip cream with remaining brown sugar until stiff.
- Split shortcake into two layers; place bottom layer on a serving platter. Spoon half of the peach mixture over cake; top with half of cream. Cover with second cake layer and remaining peach mixture. Garnish with remaining cream; sprinkle with pecans.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 355 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 352mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Oct 5, 2009
This recipe looked so appealing I had to try it. However, I found the cake part to be a little heavy - the top layer kept sliding off the lower. Also, the ceam wasn't sweet enough for me, so I would add the brown sugar to taste. Would be worth trying again if I can figure out how to lighten up the cake.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.