Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1-1/2 pound ripe fresh peaches or nectarines, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Combine the first five ingredients in a bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk, stirring only until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Pat evenly into a greased 8-in. round baking pan. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack.
- Just before serving, combine peaches, 4 tablespoons brown sugar and ginger. Whip cream with remaining brown sugar until stiff.
- Split shortcake into two layers; place bottom layer on a serving platter. Spoon half of the peach mixture over cake; top with half of cream. Cover with second cake layer and remaining peach mixture. Garnish with remaining cream; sprinkle with pecans.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 355 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 352mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 5, 2009
This recipe looked so appealing I had to try it. However, I found the cake part to be a little heavy - the top layer kept sliding off the lower. Also, the ceam wasn't sweet enough for me, so I would add the brown sugar to taste. Would be worth trying again if I can figure out how to lighten up the cake.