Carrot Cake with Buttermilk Glaze
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, well-drained
- 2 cups very finely grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- BUTTERMILK GLAZE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Sift together flour, soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside. Beat eggs in bowl until lemon-colored; beat in the sugar, oil, buttermilk and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture; stir in the pineapple, carrots, nuts and coconut. Pour into lightly greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For frosting, combine all ingredients except vanilla in saucepan; bring to boil. Boil 5-6 minutes, until thick and syrupy; add vanilla. Poke holes in top of cake with toothpick or fork; pour glaze over top while cake is still warm. Serve warm or store in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 371 calories, 19g fat (6g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 306mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 5, 2018
I have used this recipe for many years, except I don't use oil....I use applesauce....oil has no flavor....
Jun 17, 2016
I cut back on the sugar in the cake and it still tasted really good.
Mar 24, 2016
Just baked this cake yesterday. I thought it was very good, though the cake was not very sweet which surprised me. I followed the direction just as written. I liked the addition of the buttermilk glaze.
Jul 11, 2014
Fantabulous cake - made it last night and had a piece warm, yummmm, and equally scrumptious this morning. Didn't add the coconut, but all else, according to the recipe.And the buttermilk glaze is heavenly, especially warm.
Oct 8, 2012
The best carrot cake ever made.
Nov 23, 2011
This recipe is so moist! It is a must have dessert for all of our family gatherings.
Apr 21, 2011
was a bit sweet but loved it
Apr 10, 2011
This is so moist and delicious. My husband gave it 5 stars.
Feb 28, 2011
Fantastic recipe! My family loved it!
May 1, 2010
Delicious! I just made this cake for a family birthday. The recipient loves carrot cake but I wanted to try a non-traditional version. The batter isn't very thick but it comes out just fine. Since I was using a dark pan, I turned down my oven a little, and the cake was done in just under 55 minutes. Instead of putting the nuts in the batter I toasted them and sprinkled them on top so the kids could removed them if they didn't want them. I also omitted the coconut. If you want you can add raisins to this, I'm sure. For the glaze, I reduced the sugar to a generous 3/4 cup. There is so much sugar in this recipe that you won't even notice. This recipe is very similar to a fruit cocktail cake that my husband's mother makes him (his all time favorite), so I knew I couldn't go wrong making this one!