Butter Pound Cake
Whether garnished with fresh berries and sprigs of rosemary or just served plain, this rich cake is fabulous. It bakes to a beautiful golden brown and it's definitely a keeper! —Edgar Wright, Silver Spring, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- GARNISH, optional:
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 package fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons fresh blueberries
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and eggs, one at a time. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with water, beating after each addition.
- Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50-55 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan; cool completely on a wire rack.
- If desired, for garnish, place corn syrup in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, uncovered, 10 seconds or until warm. Brush corn syrup lightly over rosemary. Sprinkle sugar to coat; place on waxed paper to dry. Reheat remaining corn syrup until warm; gently toss cranberries and blueberries in syrup. Toss in remaining sugar to coat. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set, about 1 hour.
- Just before serving, top cake with sugared rosemary and berries. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar.
Editor’s Note: To remove cakes easily, use solid shortening to grease plain and fluted tube pans.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 382 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Oct 21, 2019
Husband isn't real fond of super sweet. He really liked this pound cake. Big compliment when he said it reminded him of his grandmother's pound cake. Great buttery taste, dense texture and moist. Will definitely be making it again.