Butter Pound Cake
Whether garnished with fresh berries and sprigs of rosemary or just served plain, this rich cake is fabulous. It bakes to a beautiful golden brown and it's definitely a keeper! —Edgar Wright, Silver Spring, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- GARNISH, optional:
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 package fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons fresh blueberries
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and eggs, one at a time. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with water, beating after each addition.
- Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50-55 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan; cool completely on a wire rack.
- If desired, for garnish, place corn syrup in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, uncovered, 10 seconds or until warm. Brush corn syrup lightly over rosemary. Sprinkle sugar to coat; place on waxed paper to dry. Reheat remaining corn syrup until warm; gently toss cranberries and blueberries in syrup. Toss in remaining sugar to coat. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set, about 1 hour.
- Just before serving, top cake with sugared rosemary and berries. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar.
Editor’s Note: To remove cakes easily, use solid shortening to grease plain and fluted tube pans.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 382 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Pound Cake in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.