Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup butterscotch chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 to 3 cups buttercream frosting
- Line 2 greased 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; set aside. In a microwave, melt butterscotch chips with 1/4 cup water at 70% power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in butterscotch mixture. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk just until combined.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in evaporated milk and water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Gently stir in chips and butter. Stir in pecans and coconut. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the filling. Top with second layer and remaining filling. Frost sides with buttercream frosting. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 765 calories, 36g fat (15g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 422mg sodium, 103g carbohydrate (79g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
May 26, 2019
Yummy.... I made the sponge and it was so moist, tasty. Everybody loved it. Made it third time in this month. This is my go to recipe now??. Thanks for sharing.
Feb 2, 2013
Delicious! The filling/topping is decadent - made it as a birthday cake and everyone enjoyed it!