Butterscotch Swirl Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 3/4 cup butterscotch ice cream topping
- BUTTERSCOTCH GLAZE:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 5 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in extracts. Combine flour, baking soda and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer 2 cups of batter to another large bowl; beat in pudding mix, butterscotch topping and remaining egg until well blended. Pour half of the plain batter into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Top with half of the butterscotch batter; cut through with a knife to swirl. Repeat layers and swirl.
- Bake 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar and milk. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; add confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth and creamy. Drizzle over cake; sprinkle with pecans.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 650 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 171mg cholesterol, 573mg sodium, 94g carbohydrate (67g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
May 28, 2019
This cake was delicious! I used gluten-free flour (sorghum blend) and added an egg white plus an extra half teaspoon of baking powder. It came out beautifully! It was a bit too much batter for my silicon bundt pan, so next time I'm going to put some of the batter into mini-loaf pans and see how they come out.
Jun 19, 2018
This cake turned out exactly like the picture and it was delicious. It is flavorful and moist. The family was asking for seconds. Thank you for sharing.
Jul 20, 2014
I was disappointed in the strength of the butterscotch flavor. I am a butterscotch lover, and this cake didn't do much for me. It did bake up beautifully; however, it is not a recipe I will keep for the future.
Apr 5, 2014
Nice colorful swirls in this cake... the icing is super yummy. Consistency of the cake is firm, but moist... tastes good.
May 15, 2012
Lovely cake---butterscotch is one of my favorites, in any of its forms. When I showed it to the family, everyone said "Wow!" The icing is perfect for the cake.
Aug 29, 2011
I was disappointed that when you slice the cake it comes apart in two pieces where the swirl layer is on the cake. The frosting was delicious and will use it on other cake recipes.
Jun 8, 2010
this cake is wonderful. I did not have any butterscotch topping on hand the first time I made this but used milky way ice cream topping and vanilla pudding instead. I liked it even better than when I made it again with the butterscotch flavor as suggested in the recipe. Also I just topped it with powdered sugar. Definitely a recipe I will use again and again.
Jun 4, 2010
Love this cake ..
Jan 29, 2009
This cake is delicious; it's requested a lot in our house now. It IS impressive looking.