Butterscotch Apple Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped (4 cups)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (11 ounces) butterscotch chips
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in apples and pecans.
- Pour into a lightly greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with chips. Bake at 325° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cover loosely with foil during the last 10-15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 513 calories, 27g fat (7g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 335mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Mar 15, 2020
Lovely recipe, but not the least bit Irish at all.
Aug 27, 2019
I thought my mom was the only one that had this coveted recipe??This has been one of our family’s favorite for many many years! Everyone that tries it loves it. If you have trouble with browning edges try foil just around the edges.
Aug 12, 2019
I made this cake for a family dinner this weekend. It turned out perfectly. I used 3 large apples, one Gala, one Fugi and one Granny Smith. The 3 apples equaled 4 cups exactly. The cake was tender and moist. Instead of putting butterscotch chips on top before baking, I melted a quarter bag of salted caramel chips and drizzled over cooled cake. It truly complimented the cake. The only thing I might change next time will be to add an extra 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon.
Feb 26, 2019
Feb 3, 2017
I love the taste of this cake. The problem is I can't get it done without burning the bottom. I have reduced the baking temp. and it still burns. Not a cheap cake to make. Unhappy.
Aug 23, 2015
This is absolutely the BEST cake I have ever made. I did omit the butterscotch chips and used a caramel frosting and it turned out super!!! I will definitely make this many times.
Mar 22, 2012
Due to some of the comments here, we have reviewed this recipe again and apologize that the original baking time was incorrect. The correct time is 55-60 minutes. The recipe has been updated.Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Sep 28, 2011
I make this every fall for our soccer snack shack. People ask for the recipie.
Jan 18, 2011
Loved this recipe!! Delicious!
Nov 9, 2010
very good and really moist!