Swirled Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- PEANUT BUTTER BATTER:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into oil. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In another bowl, beat the cream cheese, peanut butter, 1/3 cup sugar, egg and salt until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls over cake batter; cut through batter with a knife to swirl the peanut butter mixture. Sprinkle with pecans and remaining sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 217 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 20, 2019
Made just as written except used mini chocolate chips instead of regular and it was yummy. A moist chocolate cake with a nice crunchy top. Will make again.
Oct 17, 2017
Very moist and rich. Cut into small serving size.
Apr 8, 2016
This cake was delicious! Super moist, the perfect density, and just the right blend of chocolate and peanut butter. I didn't change anything, and didn't run into any problems related to the filling that other reviewers did. I loved that the peanut butter batter was almost cheesecake-like because of the cream cheese and egg in the batter. This cake also freezes very well.
Dec 31, 2013
I baked this cake the same way as jbab, 1/2 the cake part in an 8X8 inch pan, original recipe proportions for the filling. It was great, very easy too! If I bake the cake with the full recipe (for a 13 X9 inch pan) I will double the filling recipe
Apr 18, 2013
Great cake! I made in an 8x8 pan, cutting the cake ingredients in half and making the filling as stated because I wanted to try it out and there's only 2 of us. Came out great! Will definitely make again using the entire recipe.
Jun 16, 2012
I recall making this recipe before & the results were great!
May 25, 2012
Very good! This is a super simple and moist cake. I love the fact that you don't have to frost it because peanut butter filling is baked in the cake. The only problem I had was that the peanut butter mixture sort-of slid to the middle of the cake and the edge pieces ended up not having much of the filling. I don't know if this can be prevented, but let me know if anyone has a suggestion to correct this problem. When mixing up the peanut butter filling, I just stirred it all together with a rubber spatula in a bowl, no mixer is needed; just be sure to have your cream cheese pretty soft. Overall, very moist and delicious, quick and easy, I will make again.
Mar 21, 2011
Dec 8, 2010
I made this cake and took it to work. It was gone within minutes. It turned out exactly like the picture. We loved it!