Walnut Date Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1-1/2 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the dates, water and butter; let stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, walnuts, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla and date mixture. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cover loosely with foil if top browns to quickly. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 120 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 181mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Jan 20, 2018
This recipe is horrible, certainly does not yield two loaves. Baking time is way off, bottom burnt and stuck to pan. I would never make this recipe again.
Aug 29, 2014
My husband enjoys these moist tasty loaves. The recipe is easily halved if you only want 1 loaf. I have also frozen the extra loaf with good results.
Nov 22, 2009
So easy to make and so wonderful to taste!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.