Walnut Date Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1-1/2 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the dates, water and butter; let stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, walnuts, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla and date mixture. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cover loosely with foil if top browns to quickly. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 120 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 181mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Oct 23, 2018
Moist, dense flavors. I found that the batter was much too wet and reduced the water to 1 cup. I also reduced the sugar to 1 cup as the dates are plenty sweet enough for my taste. For some extra texture try adding a half cup of crushed whole wheat unsweetened cereal ie grape nuts flakes or wheaties.
Jan 20, 2018
This recipe is horrible, certainly does not yield two loaves. Baking time is way off, bottom burnt and stuck to pan. I would never make this recipe again.
Aug 29, 2014
My husband enjoys these moist tasty loaves. The recipe is easily halved if you only want 1 loaf. I have also frozen the extra loaf with good results.
Nov 22, 2009
So easy to make and so wonderful to taste!